This macaroni and cheese starts with a white sauce and incorporates four delicious cheeses to create a most delectable, dreamy, creamy, and cheesy pasta!
- 1 box of your favorite pasta shape, I used orecchiette pasta (or you can use elbow macaroni, or whatever pasta shape you’d like or have on hand.)
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1 cup of half and half (or you can use cream)
- 1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of fresh grated nutmeg, optional
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 16 ounces Gruyere cheese, freshly grated, reserve at least 1/4 cup cheese for top of dish
- 8 ounces Seriously Sharp Cheddar cheese, freshly grated, (I used Cabot’s Seriously Sharp Cheddar), reserve some cheese for top
- 8 ounces Mild cheddar cheese, freshly grated, reserve some cheese for top
- 1/4 cup of Grana Padano cheese, freshly grated (or you can use Parmesan or pecorino Romano cheese.)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil to cook the pasta according to box directions. Cook until al dente. Drain when pasta is done.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the white sauce. Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Whisk in flour and let cook 2 minutes while stirring. Slowly whisk in milk, half and half (or cream), dry mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste. Also add in fresh nutmeg, if desired. Cook over medium heat while stirring until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in Gruyere, Seriously Sharp Cheddar, Mild Cheddar, and Grana Pandano cheeses until melted.
- Mix cooked pasta in with the cheese sauce. Pour into a buttered casserole dish. (No need to transfer if using an enamel Dutch oven like Le Creuset, I poured the pasta into the cheese sauce that was prepared in a Le Creuset Dutch oven and topped with remaining cheese, nothing stuck to the pan.) Top with reserved cheeses. Bake at 350° until it is bubbly, about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before serving.
Please like, share, and follow. Please also Follow my page on Facebook and Subscribe on YouTube. Thank you!