This creamed spinach is SUPER creamy and delicious and is a perfect side to make ahead and reheat when you are ready to serve.
For the Roux:
- 4 Tablespoons of butter, melted slowly and gently browned
- 4 Tablespoons of flour
- 1 cup Half and Half, or Whole Milk
- 1/4 teaspoon of Salt
- 20 ounces of Frozen Defrosted Chopped Spinach, Squeeze out the Water, Fluff in a Bowl with a Fork (I use Two Boxes of Birds Eye brand Spinach.)
- 2 Tablespoons of Butter
- 1 small Onion, diced small
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3 Tablespoons of Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Grana Padano cheese (or Romano, or Parmesan, whatever kind you like.)
- Fresh grated Nutmeg, to taste
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Garlic powder, or garlic paste, optional
- Make a Brown Butter Roux slowly melting 4 Tablespoons of butter in a saucepan until brown bits form in the bottom. Whisk in flour and salt until it forms a paste. Remove from heat and quickly whisk in the Half and Half until the lumps are gone. Mixture will be thick, don’t worry, that’s ok. Cover until you are ready to use to keep it from drying out.
- In a separate larger pot, heat 3 Tablespoons of Butter on medium heat and sauté the diced onions until translucent, for about 4 minutes.
- Add in the water, spinach, and 1 teaspoon of salt and stir. Once combined, add the Brown Butter Roux into the spinach. Mix well.
- Shut off burner and next add in Cream Cheese, Sour Cream, Grated Cheese of your choice, and freshly grated Nutmeg. Mix until well combined.
- Taste the spinach for seasoning. Add additional salt and pepper to your taste. I also like to add some garlic paste, or garlic powder, whichever I have on hand, to taste.
I love this one so much, I hope you like it too. You could even throw some chopped artichoke hearts in and bake it off as a creamy dip and serve with warm tortilla chips. That would be soooo good!
Please like, share, and follow. Please also Follow my page on Facebook and Subscribe on YouTube. Thank you!