Fresh pasta sheets, carmelized onions, marscapone mashed potatoes, Cheddar Gruyère cheese, and fresh ground nutmeg star in this flavorful layered dish.
- 4 medium onions, halved and sliced thin
- 3 Tablespoons of butter
- 2 Tablespoons Neutral Oil
- Pinch of dried thyme
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 8 ounce Family Size Package of Idahoan Brand Buttery Homestyle Mashed Potatoes
- 4 cups of water
- 1/2 cup Half and Half
- 8 ounces BelGioioso Mascarpone Cheese
- Fresh Grated Nutmeg, to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
- Cooking Spray
- 1 package of fresh Lasagna sheets, I used Wegman’s Brand
- 1 brick of Trader Joe’s Cheddar Gruyere Cheese, grated
- Locatelli Romano cheese, grated, to top lasagna
- 2 Tablespoons of butter, use yo dot the top of the lasagna
- Parsley flakes, of fresh chopped parsley
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Half 4 medium onions and then slice them thin. Cook with butter and oil, thyme, and sea salt in a nonstick skillet on low until onions are golden brown and carmelized. This takes time, do not turn up the heat, cook them low and slow for the sweetest onions.
- I used a potato shortcut this time around and it turned out great! Here’s what i did: Microwave 4 cups of water for 5 minutes until hot in a microwave safe bowl. Carefully remove from microwave and add the buttery homestyle mashed potatoes packet. Whisk potatoes in bowl with half and half, mascarpone cheese, and grate in fresh nutmeg, and add sea salt to taste. You want the potatoes to be more like a sauce, to cook the noodles, not thick. If necessary, add more half and half to thin them, and season them to taste.
- Hand grate the whole block of Trader Joe’s Cheddar Gruyere cheese.
- Spray bottom of 9 x 13 casserole with cooking spray and line with fresh pasta sheets.
- Next, add in a layer of mashed potatoes, then onions, then cheese.
- Repeat with more pasta sheets, mashed potatoes, onions, and cheese.
- Then add your final layer of pasta. Top with remaining mashed potatoes, onions (including any remaining butter and oil from the onion pan), and cheese. Also sprinkle with Locatelli Cheese, Parsley Flakes, and black pepper to taste. Dot with the 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Cover with parchment and/or foil and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Next, uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until golden brown.
This is so delicious! Serve it topped with a dollop of sour cream and served with a crisp salad on the side.