Crisp vegetables, combined with the salty brine of Kalamata olives and capers, and the most delicious tangy feta cheese.
- 3 to 4 tomatoes, cored and sliced into wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt for tomatoes
- 1 English cucumber, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 Green pepper, seeded and deribbed, cut into 2 1/2 inch chunks
- 1/2 Red onion, sliced thinly, soaked in ice water for 15 minutes, then drained
- 1 cup Kalamata Olives, pits removed
- 2 Tablespoons of capers, rinsed
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, use a good oil
- Large block of feta cheese, Greek Sheep’s Milk Feta would be great, sliced into triangles
- Oregano for garnishing feta
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil to drizzle on feta cheese
For the dressing:
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of Dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
Whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Toss tomato wedges with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and allow them to drain in a colander for 30 minutes.
- Soak the the sliced red onion in ice water for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Put tomatoes, onions, peppers, and cucumbers, together in a bowl. Add in 1 cup of Kalamata olives to the bowl. Also add in 2 Tablespoons of capers that have been rinsed.
- Add red wine mixture and 1/4 cup of olive oil to the vegetables and toss. Put on a large platter. Add Feta Cheese cut into triangles on top, sprinkle with more dried oregano and drizzle feta with additional olive oil.
Serve with a piece of crusty bread for a perfect summer meal!