A slice of warm Irish Soda Bread with Irish butter and a hot cup of tea is a wonderful way to start the day.
- 3 cups of Flour
- 2/3 cups of Sugar
- 3 teaspoons of Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 1 teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 cups of Buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon of neutral oil, I used avocado oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup of Currants
- 1 Tablespoon of Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line the baking pan with parchment paper, I used a cast iron pan.
- Mix together the dry ingredients, the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Mix together the wet ingredients, the buttermilk, oil, and egg.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients.. Add in the currents and vanilla extract.
- Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes. When a toothpick comes out clean, the bread is done.
- Serve with delicious Irish butter. Jam would also be delicious.