I wanted to have a wedge salad but decided to deconstruct the wedge salad: Meaning have many of the components with finely shaved iceberg lettuce instead to create a bed for all the yummy toppings.
I also wanted to add some protein and fiber so I spiced up some chickpeas and air fried them to add some crunch to the salad.
It was quite tasty and the salad was pretty too. I served it in a large stoneware serving dish that I chilled to keep the salad nice and cold.
- 1 head of Iceberg Lettuce, finely shaved
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes, cut in half, I used a colorful tomato medley
- 1 scallion, sliced very thin on a bias
- 1/4 of a small red onion, sliced very thin
- 1 can of Chickpeas, rinsed, drained, and dried well on paper towels
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of Chili powder
- 1/2 of a 6 ounce can of French fried onions
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Blue Cheese dressing, I used Wegman’s Brand refrigerated Organic Blue Cheese Dressing
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas and pat fry with paper towels. In a bowl, toss the chickpeas with the Olive Oil and Chili powder to coat. Turn them out onto a parchment lined sheet, spread them out for maximum crispness. Air Fry (I use the Ninja Foodi Air Fryer) at 400° for 15 minutes, tossing every five minutes, or until crispy.
- While the chickpeas are air frying, prepare the vegetables for the salad.
- Finely shave the head of iceberg lettuce.
- Slice the grape tomatoes in half.
- Finely slice the scallion and red onion.
- When the chickpeas are done, crisp up the Fried Onions on parchment paper in the air fryer at 250° for one minute. Lightly salt them once done.
- Time to assemble the salad. On a large platter or stoneware dish, add the shaved Iceberg lettuce, season the lettuce with sea salt and pepper, if desired.
- Top with the sliced scallions, sliced red onion, and sliced grape tomatoes. Top with the crispy chickpeas and the crispy fried onions.
- Drizzle blue cheese dressing on top when about to serve the salad and top with fresh parsley. Add any additional sea salt and pepper to taste.